Website Midcoast Council
This position sits within the Community Spaces, Recreation and Trades section and is responsible for undertaking both 4 years on the job practical training and a prescribed TAFE \course of study in a horticulture field, Horticulture – Parks and Gardens Certificate III. This position is also responsible for assisting the Team Leader (Horticulture) to carry out the development, maintenance and repair of Council’s parks, reserves and other recreational assets.
- Successfully complete the prescribed course of study through TAFE.
- Establishment and maintenance of tree plantations, shrubs, groundcovers, street garden beds, floral display etc.
- Landscape, construct and establish plantations, grass areas and garden beds.
- Develop skills in the operation and maintenance of tractors, light and medium trucks, mowers and other items of plant as directed by your Supervisor.
- Contribute to the delivery of organisational outcomes and the Community Spaces, Recreation and Trade Operational Plan.
- Other duties within the employee’s skill, competence and training as directed and in accordance with the Local Government (State) Award.
- Work Health & Safety – All Council staff are accountable for ensuring that they fulfil their specific responsibilities, duties and due diligence requirements under the NSW Work, Health & Safety legislation. Staff are also required to adhere to Council’s relevant safe work instructions, policies and procedures.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) – All Council staff are required to adhere to Council’s EEO policies and procedures.
- Genuine interest in pursuing a career in Horticulture.
- Mechanical aptitude and background experience in parks and gardens maintenance or landscaping.
- Ability to learn a diverse range of skills related to Horticulture activities in a maintenance role.
- Ability to learn manual handling skills and capacity to operate a wide range of small machinery and equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Ability to complete prescribed course of study at TAFE with sound literacy and numeracy skills.
- Ability and willingness to undertake on the job and in-house training.
- Knowledge of safety issues relevant to Horticulture, and a strong commitment to safe working practises.
- Sound verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment or with minimum supervision
Company: Midcoast Council
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Taree, New South Wales, Au
Application Deadline: N/A