The Assistant Accountant plays a key role in the Financial Accounting team, positively contributing to the operational success of the Finance department through the coordinated production of accurate Council financial information, the provision of accurate information and specialist advice to the unit in general, as well as the active support of senior staff in the achievement of work objectives.
- Liaise with senior staff across the organisation regarding transaction detail and provide advice reflective of the Australian Accounting Standards.
- Maintain and review the purchase card system in line with policy and procedures; prepare the monthly purchase card reconciliations, including all associated journals and assist cardholders as and when required.
- Undertake end of month/year processes, journals and reconciliations completed within agreed timeframes
- Assist with the preparation of account reconciliations across all balance sheet items on a monthly basis.
- Proficiency in the operation of Microsoft Office, in particular Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to manage time, set priorities and work automatously and under pressure within tight time frames.
- To be able to effectively communicate with others with clarity and diplomacy.
- Ability to research technical accounting issues and communicate findings in a clear, concise manner.
Qualification & Experience:
- Tertiary qualification in Commerce / Accounting or accounting knowledge/skills obtained from on the job training and experience commensurate with the job requirements.
- Experience in maintaining the general ledger.
- Experience in operational cash management.
- Demonstrated experience in an accounting environment.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Nillumbik, Victoria, AU
Application Deadline: N/A