We are a trusted advisor, a partner and employer of choice, and we value integrity, innovation, collaboration and respect. AIMS’ research of Australia’s tropical marine ecosystems guides their effective environmental management and contributes to our understanding of similar ecosystems around the world. Our research seeks to deliver practical benefit to all Australians and supports the sustainable use of our tropical marine estate. Governments, reef managers, industry and the wider community look to our high-quality, long-term research for informed decisions about our iconic Great Barrier Reef, North-West Shelf, and Arafura and Timor Seas. AIMS expert teams at our locations in Townsville, Darwin and Perth have access to world-class infrastructure, unique datasets, cutting-edge laboratories, and a fleet of modern research vessels.
- Access SCADA for daily operation and alarm identification and action.
- Provide support for the reliable operation, optimisation and maintenance of life support and experimental systems in the SeaSim.
- Apply good quality plumbing skills for setting up experiments and building holding systems for marine organisms.
- Participate in routine critical operations such as “Clean In Place” and disinfection of reticulation pipelines.
- Follow scheduled maintenance plans.
- Identify critical issues during opening and closure system checks.
- In the absence of the senior technical officers provide direct supervision for technicians, visitors, volunteers and work experience students.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with other team members.
- Demonstrated capabilities to work independently, with a high degree of initiative and problem solving
- First Aid Certificate.
- Diving qualification.
- Queensland recreational marine driver’s licence.
- Forklift licence.
Qualification & Experience:
- Demonstrated experience maintaining and calibrating water reticulation and/or water quality monitoring equipment.
- Plumbing or construction experience
- Demonstrated extensive experience in operating, monitoring and optimising life support systems for the aquaculture/aquarium industry.
- Demonstrated extensive experience in the construction, modification and commissioning of complex experimental aquaculture/aquarium systems.
- Tertiary qualifications in Science, Aquaculture or similar, or substantial experience in a relevant field
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Canberra, Australia
Application Deadline: N/A