Website Somerset Council
The primary purpose of the position is to operate a tractor with powered implements to undertake slashing, mowing and vegetation
management operations of Council roadsides, reserves, firebreaks and other Council land and properties; and perform a broad
range of construction, maintenance and horticultural activities at various locations within the Region. The position operates as a member of a multi-disciplined team within the Works section and will be required to perform a broad range of physical tasks, requiring developed industry skills and under the general direction of the Technical Supervisor and/or Ganger
- Operate and maintain relevant plant, machinery, tools and personal protective equipment in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions, standard operating procedures, work methods statements and safety plans.
- Actively contribute to the operational efficiency of Council slashing, mowing and vegetation management operations.
- Carry out works within agreed standards, priorities and time frames set by the Technical Supervisor and/or Ganger.
- Ensure that all necessary plant, machinery, tools, equipment and materials are available and efficiently utilised to support work plans in order to maximise performance times.
- Undertake slashing, mowing and vegetation management of roadsides, reserves, and other Council land and properties using Council’s tractor / slasher fleet, and other powered implements, as scheduled or as directed by the Technical Supervisor and/or Ganger.
- Undertake a wide range of labouring activities including litter control, cleaning, basic construction, asset and infrastructure maintenance and vegetation control
- Ensure routine inspections and maintenance of relevant plant, machinery, tools and personal protective equipment are carried out at the required frequency. Comply with all workshop maintenance requirements in plant and machinery care and maintenance.
- Identify any traffic control requirements required and supervise designated traffic control crews assigned to support slashing,
mowing and vegetation management activities.
- Knowledge of Work Health and Safety matters relevant to the role
- Carrying out measurements and calculations
- Working on roads and traffic control situations
- Working around powerlines and ability to identify exclusions zones
- Safe handling and use of chemicals and hazardous substances
- Plant and tractor operations
- Use of relevant hand and power tools
Qualification & Experience:
- Experience with slashing, mowing and vegetation management operations
- Experienced in working under traffic control conditions
- Experience in construction and/or maintenance as relevant to the position and work crew
- Experience in a vegetation maintenance position (desirable)
Company: Somerset Council
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Somerset, Queensland, AU
Application Deadline: N/A