ABARES is the Australian Bureau of Agriculture and Resource Economics and Science, and we represent a rare concentration of economic and scientific expertise in Australian government. The majority of our staff – including those in senior executive roles – are trained economists and scientists. We are an important link between research and policy. We provide analysis and advice to the Department of Agriculture, Water and Environment (DAWE) on issues ranging from management of Australia’s forestry and fisheries resources, water markets in the southern Murray Darling Basin, to farm performance, productivity, and agricultural production and trade.
- Assist in developing and running economic models of Australia’s water, forestry, fisheries or natural capital sectors
- Assess domestic and international agricultural market conditions to provide forecasts and advice on agricultural policy and trade
- Take ownership of key tasks – research and analysis of current or emerging issues within the research program – and delivering work to a high quality
- Be part of the communications team that socialises our research across policy colleagues, industry and academia where relevant
- Awareness of, or the ability to gain a good understanding of, the key issues, sensitivities and operating environment for the agriculture, water, fisheries and forestry sectors.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in applied economics and/or economic or mathematical modelling across government, the private sector or the research sector.
- An understanding of, and commitment to, promoting and maintaining a high level of awareness of occupational health and safety and workplace diversity principles and practices.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, AU
Application Deadline: N/A