The Supervising Scientist Branch (SSB) ensures the protection of the Alligator Rivers Region, including Kakadu National Park, and the local communities from the effects of uranium mining by undertaking environmental research and monitoring, participating in and overseeing the regulatory process and developing standards and practices for environmental protection.
- Providing leadership and technical input into the branch’s compliance and verification program to ensure activities on mining and exploration sites are occurring in a manner consistent with regulatory approval conditions
- Participating in environmental investigations and providing technical and strategic advice to help shape the environmental monitoring undertaken by the branch
- Managing an interdisciplinary team of professionals to undertake programs of audits, inspections, monitoring, and investigation activities associated with the impacts of uranium mining
- Providing strategic oversight of complex environmental assessments through coordination of internal and external review of company data, reports and proposals and the production of high-quality assessment advice
- Coordination of collaboration and engagement between the branch, specialist consultants and other government agencies on complex environmental matters and regulatory processes
- Assisting with the general functions of the Supervision and Assessment team as required, including contributions to departmental corporate and governance processes.
- High-level organisational, supervisory and communication skills, with the ability to coordinate multiple projects across multi-disciplinary teams and deliver integrated outcomes to inform decision making.
- Ability to work autonomously and to cultivate productive working relationships in both scientific research and corporate environments.
Qualification & Experience:
- Experience with mining or other large-scale rehabilitation related activities from either an industry or regulatory oversight perspective.
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating complex environmental assessments including the collation of information, liaisons with subject matter experts and development of assessment reports.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of compliance verification programs related to environmental risk management.
- Experience in the implementation of environmental monitoring systems and the application of environmental investigation techniques
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Darwin, Northern Territory, AU
Application Deadline: N/A