As a Principal Veterinary Officer in the branch, you will lead and work with a dedicated group of officers who are committed to maintaining and improving Australia’s biosecurity system, assisting our agricultural industries to accelerate their growth and to improve stewardship of our environment and heritage. You will provide strong leadership to ensure that all work is aligned to the department’s strategic direction as articulated in our Purpose, Objectives, Priorities and Values statement. This includes upholding the division’s leadership culture of seeking solutions and focusing on outcomes.
- Managing a small team of veterinarians
- Prioritising market access and import policy work to support the key objectives of the branch and department
- Developing and delivering policy and providing technical advice for the import and export of animals and their products
- Consulting with stakeholders – both internal and external to the department including representing Australia in international forums.
- Understand the department’s trade engagement approach and associated policies
- Understand import risk assessments and policy development and Australias biosecurity framework including its legislative context and the department’s role as an import and export regulator
- Have a sound knowledge of domestic and international animal health system including production and surveillance systems that support import and export trade
- Understand the international framework for trade in animals and their products (set out by the OIE) and Australias obligations under the World Trade Organization
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate complex scientific information to both a technical and non-technical audience.
- Understand the government structures and responsibilities for animal health in Australia.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, AU
Application Deadline: N/A