AFMA is seeking suitably qualified people to fill APS 2 Fisheries Observer positions within the Fisheries Information and Services Branch in various locations.
AFMA deploys observers on a variety of commercial fishing vessels in and out of the Australian Fishing Zone domestically and internationally. The primary functions of the role include observing and documenting commercial fishing catches, collecting vessel, technical and biological data which is not normally obtainable through vessel logbooks, monitoring operations and documenting interactions with threatened, endangered and protected species (TEPs).
- Monitor environmental impacts by the vessel and its fishing gear.
- Monitor vessel compliance with their permit conditions.
- Verify catch and effort data submitted by the vessel in accordance with its fishing permit conditions.
- Participate in research programs supporting fisheries management and other agencies e.g. fish tagging and surveys and enter data and prepare end of trip reports
- Undertake regular work at-sea under challenging conditions with limited supervision.
- Collect vessel, technical and biological data.
- Liaise with fishers with respect to observer program activities.
- Is proficient and familiar with a suite of technical applications including Word, Excel and database packages.
- Will have demonstrated experience in working independently (eg remotely/at sea) under difficult conditions with limited supervision.
- Will possess effective oral and written communication and strong liaison skills including a demonstrated ability to prepare concise structured written reports.
- Has a good understanding of the Australian Fishing Industry and the role of the Commonwealth in fisheries management.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Canberra, Australia
Application Deadline: N/A