The Head of Engineering Operations will be responsible for maintenance and engineering operations of the SKA-Low Telescope, from antennas and stations through the signal chain to the central signal processor, as well as the critical supporting infrastructure for the telescope. The systems will be progressively handed over from construction to operations, with full operating capability of the telescope expected in 2028. This role includes managing and directing the work of the operations and maintenance teams to deliver the engineering objectives of the telescope.
- Work with CSIRO and SKAO to hire a diverse and talented team of staff to support the engineering operations needs of the SKAO in Australia.
- Provide the vision and leadership for a group of 30-40 staff who will be responsible for the engineering needs of SKAO in Australia, as well as the operational support and local development of the SKA-Low telescope, building an inclusive and high performing culture.
- Work as one of the senior staff of the SKAO in Australia as a core member of the SKA-Low Management Team.
- Own the SKA-Low telescope Standard Operating Procedures for engineering and maintenance activities to plan and implement engineering operations end-to-end, providing updates and reports as necessary.
- Work as a senior member of the Operations group to represent engineering performance issues, to promote and encourage best engineering practices.
- Work closely with the SKAO Engineering Managers in all aspects of engineering operations and performance across the Observatory to deliver common approaches that maximise efficiency and performance.
- Support the roadmap development for the tools, processes and techniques that will be required for the oversight and management of engineering performance of the Observatory.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and confidently at all levels, presenting complex engineering issues and concepts in a style appropriate to the audience, and the ability to represent SKAO externally.
- Demonstrable record of successfully delivering long-term monitoring of engineering performance, tracking of metrics, and of driving performance improvements to manage an efficient engineering and maintenance operation.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills, with the ability to influence, build trust, shape
- conversations, and change behaviours through effective relationship-building.
Qualification & Experience:
- A degree in a relevant field of engineering or science (for example mechanical, electronic, electrical, or physics) or significant equivalent relevant work experience in these fields
- A demonstrated record of successful leadership and management of teams, promoting diversity and developing an inclusive, high-performing culture. Experience of all aspects of people management including recruitment, capability development and performance management.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant professional experience in engineering leadership of a high-technology or scientific facility including maintenance management.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Geraldton, Western Australia, AU
Application Deadline: N/A