The Postdoctoral Fellow will be jointly supervised by Netsanet Shiferaw Terefe (Agriculture & Food, Food program) and Thomas Vanhercke (CSIRO Agriculture & Food, Traits). The Fellow will also be mentored by a multi-disciplinary supervisory team consisting of world-class experts in synthetic biology, food science, fermentation technology and downstream processing from two CSIRO business units. In addition to the supervisors, the Fellow will have the opportunity to interact with other researchers in CSIRO (Synthetic biology Future Science Platform, Bioanalytic and proteomics experts, Future Protein Mission) and outside CSIRO (Universities and Research institutes) to broaden his/her scientific skills and networks.
- Conducting laboratory fermentation experiments with selected recombinant strains to evaluate yield, structure and functionality of target heterologous proteins to guide the refinement of the metabolic engineering strategy.
- Evaluating the scalability of the fermentation process with the engineered host organism by conducting pilot-scale fermentation experiments.
- Designing and conducting metabolic engineering experiments to develop engineered host organism for the extracellular production of target proteins and evaluation of the performance of recombinant strains through gene expression and LCMS proteomics analyses.
- Writing scientific papers for publication in peer reviewed journals, preparing documentation for IP capture, delivering presentations at industry workshops and scientific conferences, and participating in industry engagements and commercialisation activities.
- Expertise in yeast synthetic biology in common chassis strains such as Pichia pastoris and saccharomyces cerevisae.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
- A sound history of publication in peer reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers, reports, grant applications or patents.
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline, such as Synthetic Biology, Metabolic Engineering or Precision Fermentation. Please note: To beeligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience .
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Application Deadline: N/A