As the Engineering Group Leader, you will lead teams who make an impact through the digital delivery of science. The teams develop cloud services and applications that make an economic, environmental and societal impact through digital delivery of CSIRO’s research and technology. Teams are multidisciplinary, comprising researchers in a range of domains, engineers, UX designers, project managers, and product managers.
- Review and guide software architecture and development.
- Alongside leaders from other groups, develop and implement the strategy for delivering on CSIRO Data61’s priorities.
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders to Initiate and manage a pipeline of projects that fit with the defined strategy.
- Lead and develop a group of high-caliber software engineers.
- Provide high-level strategic advice to the Executive, Directors, and/or Research Directors concerning Business Unit and/or organisational issues, influencing organisational and/or Government decisions.
- Represent the Business Unit and CSIRO at external and internal forums/events, advocating CSIRO’s position with government bodies and securing network support for CSIRO’s preferred position.
- Forecast potential influences on the Business Unit and/or the Organisations’ operating environment and develop and implement preparatory strategies.
- Work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary, often regionally dispersed research team, and business unit to carry out tasks in support of CSIRO scientific objectives.
- Sound interpersonal skills as evidenced by the ability to work effectively and collaboratively within and across teams.
- Good judgement as applied to the identification and successful resolution of complex (technical and non-technical) problems and issues.
- A bachelor’s or higher degree in software engineering or information technology.
- Relevant recent certifications i.e. DevOps, Cloud, Project Management, Service Management etc.
- Deep expertise developing and deploying cloud software.
- Leading DevOps and Agile software engineering practices/teams.
- A significant record of innovation and creativity plus the ability & willingness to incorporate and/or promote the inclusion of novel ideas and approaches into projects of all sizes and scale.
Qualification & Experience:
- Experience working with product managers or user experience designers
- Software and/or cloud project/program management experience.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience leading software development and/or software delivery/commercialisation.
- Demonstrated experience with contemporary software development tools and practises: version control, unit testing, automated testing, issue tracking.
- Experience managing teams of software engineers, including recruitment, learning and development.
- Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) or significant business management and leadership experience.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Sydney, New South Wales, AU
Application Deadline: N/A