As the Research Scientist – Energy and Economic Modelling, you will utilise your knowledge of the social and physical sciences, quantitative modelling and energy system to develop techno-economic models of Australia’s energy sector with a view to assessing existing and emerging energy technologies, sector trends and policy directions.
- Evaluating the potential impact of current or proposed policies on stakeholders across the energy sector value chain.
- Identifying and integrating key energy sector datasets from across Australia and internationally.
- Producing professional reports for key industry and government clients from across the energy sector and contribute to quality science publications.
- Incorporating novel approaches to scientific investigations by adapting and/or developing original concepts and ideas for new, existing and further research.
- Developing, applying and interpreting techno-economic models of the energy system, particularly the Australian electricity and transport sectors.
- Producing high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals and for presentation at national and international conferences.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and carry out independent individual research, to achieve organisational goals.
- Proficiency in the General Algebraic Modelling System (GAMS) or JuMP programming language.
- Strong written and oral communication skills including the ability to publish research results, prepare reports and present the results of scientific investigations at national and international conferences and stakeholder meetings.
Qualification & Experience:
- Experience in working on multiple projects simultaneously for internal and external clients.
- Demonstrated experience in optimization (Linear Programming, Non-Linear Programming or Mixed-integer Programming problems) or simulation modelling
- Demonstrated experience in leading development of techno-economic models.
- Demonstrated experience in leading projects for industry or government clients.
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field such as Economics, Social or Physical Sciences.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Newcastle, New South Wales, AU
Application Deadline: N/A