The Fitter and Machinist – Engineering is responsible for the manufacture of components and systems within the CBIS workshop. The successful candidate will interact with stakeholders, including internal CSIRO business units, suppliers, management, and group members at the other locations. As the Fitter and Machinist you will have the opportunity to work across projects that are generally low quantity and specialised deliverables with development and problem solving required.
- Maintaining relationships across CBIS Engineering Groups and the wider CBIS team, as well as CSIRO management and teams.
- Contributing to initiatives to strive for continued improvements related to cost, quality, compliance, capability, and customer service.
- Working with customers to develop the best design and outcome for their research and deliver on time.
- Contributing to current projects, including input on design and fabrication, fabricating and machining, or fit parts as necessary.
- Ensure all necessary codes, standards, and practices are followed, working in a safer manner according to CSIRO, CBIS, and Engineering Services policies.
- Behaviours: A history of professional and respectful behaviours and attitudes in a collaborative environment.
- The ability to effectively manage a number of competing priorities simultaneously and carry out non-routine tasks under general direction.
- Relevant trade certificate/diploma; must be fully qualified with trades certificate and craftsman certificate for Engineering Machinist or equivalent.
- Able to communicate with team members and customers using a positive attitude.
- Problem Solving: Proven ability to investigate routine problems by identifying and considering the implications of a range of available alternative solutions.
- Ability to provide technical input and engage in technical interchange with researchers on the mechanical design, prototyping, development, manufacture and installation of mechanisms and equipment relating to research systems.
- Demonstrated ability & willingness to investigate problems, identify issues and risks, and provide alternative solutions
Qualification & Experience:
- Demonstrated experience in providing hands-on fabrication, assembly, disassembly, adjustment, measurement, troubleshooting and repair of complex mechanisms and machinery.
- Demonstrated experience in performing machining, milling, lathe turning, grinding and related tasks and to fabricate parts per engineering designs using various materials under minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated experience in machining with a sound knowledge of cutting speeds and feed rates for a range of materials and applications.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Application Deadline: N/A