Website Burdekin Shire Council
The Burdekin is located just 70km south of Townsville, where unspoilt natural beauty meets a thriving rural community right on the doorstep of the Great Barrier Reef. Famous for its abundant sunshine and rich agriculture, the shire’s most important asset is water. The Burdekin River combined with a massive underground aquifer and the Burdekin Falls Dam make the district drought resistant. Council is seeking applications for a Plant Operator to be an enthusiastic, productive, and reliable member of the Works section. Primarily the successful applicant will be required to operate a backhoe however other items of plant may include a loader, mini excavator, roller, and tractor slasher/broom.
- Completion of plant defect reports, as necessary.
- Perform other duties which contribute to the effectiveness of Council’s operations (e.g., labouring, operation of other plant for which the position holder is qualified).
- Demonstrate an ability to make judgements on routine work conditions and processes, independent from senior staff and accepting responsibility for those judgements.
- Ensure the efficient use of materials, plant and labour at all times on Council works.
- Drivers and Operators of machinery are responsible for the daily machinery maintenance prior to machinery start-up (six-point check).
- Conduct start up and shutdown procedures as per operator manuals.
- Ensure all servicing and maintenance of plant is performed and is consistent with manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Knowledge of road pavement construction and control practices relying upon experience and training relating to the objectives of this position.
- Knowledge of procedures relating to civil construction/maintenance work.
- Sound knowledge of the Works Section organisational structure.
- Basic mechanical knowledge including service levels, pre-start requirements and preventative maintenance for plant and machinery.
- Knowledge of various earthmoving equipment e.g., excavator, loader, grader, bobcat, truck, road roller.
- Sound knowledge of work practices of the Works Section.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply Council’s Traffic Control Procedures.
- Knowledge of the Work Health and Safety Act and Regulations and the Traffic Act relevant
to this position inc
Company: Burdekin Shire Council
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Ayr, Queensland, AU
Application Deadline: N/A